Chocolate Fudge Cake + Double Dark Chocolate Pudding + Easy Chocolate Mousse + Chocolate Candies = Chocolate Mousse Pudding Cake
My brother in law recently had his birthday, and my nephew would have been 3 on April 30th, he’s the little guy I’ve talked about frequently on my blog here and here. I made this cake to celebrate his ‘birthday’, and though it is a delicious cake, the day itself is so damn sad, no matter how you slice it.
And it always freaking rains, which seems fitting, or sadly soothing. I’m not sure which.
We always get together on this day each year and I make a different cake. My brother in law’s favorite cake is “Pudding Cake”, which is a box mix of cake, prepared, with a batch of instant pudding over the top, chilled. It is simple and unassuming, like he is. But pretty good if you ask me. This Chocolate Mousse Pudding Cake is inspired by the regular ‘ol pudding cake, with lots of tasty additions.
There is a layer of Chocolate Fudge Cake, a layer of chocolate pudding mixed with a jar of chocolate fudge sauce that’s poured over holes poked into the warm cake, then chilled. Then I whip up an easy chocolate mousse with more chocolate pudding and real heavy cream. Then, to top the cake off, 4 different kinds of chopped chocolate. If this isn’t enough chocolate for you, I suggest you go immediately to have your mental health assessed.
This cake would be fabulous for a party, potluck or instant cure for PMS. It is best served chilled, which keeps the richness factor in check.
It definitely hits the comfort-note too. When you need chocolate to do it’s job.
Chocolate Mousse Pudding Cake
- 1 box mix cake baked according to package instructions in a 9x13 pan
- 2 regular sized boxes of chocolate pudding prepared according to package instructions, divided
- 1 jar of chocolate fudge sauce
- 3 cups of AE Dairy heavy cream whipped to stiff peaks with 1/2 cup of powdered sugar and 1 TBSP sour cream
- 3 cups of assorted chocolate chips chopped candy bars etc.
- I used semi sweet chocolate chips, white chocolate chips, chopped Hershey's Symphony bar, chopped fun size 3 Musketeers
- Poke holes into freshly baked cake.
- Mix half of the prepared pudding together (pudding can be loose and freshly made, it works well here) with the jar of chocolate sauce. Pour over cake.
- Chill cake completely, for 2 hours at least, covered. (Chill pudding too, along with whipped cream.)
- Fold whipped cream into pudding in 3 additions. Spread on top of cake, chill for 20 or more minutes.
- Sprinkle candies on top. Keep chilled until you serve the cake.