When I traveled to NYC this past October with my husband for being a winner in the Kenmore Honored Harvest Time Recipe Competition for their 100th Anniversary I met a city that I loved for a moment. NYC is magical and there are so many things to do and see. My favorite spot was called Sarabeth’s where we had breakfast nearly every morning. They had the most amazing menu full of everything you’d ever dream for a morning meal. A few mornings in a row I got the Lemon Ricotta Pancakes. They were fantastic so I came home and created a similar recipe and I wanted to share them with you and figured today would be the best day (everyone is buzzing about “Pancake Day” even though I still consider it “Fat Tuesday”). Please get ‘Fat’ off of these puppies, you can thank me later. Oh, and don’t forget the REAL maple syrup. The almost smokiness of the real-stuff offsets the acidity from the lemon in an undeniable fashion. These are my favorite pancakes. EVER.
*More coming up on the NYC trip in the future and the competition at the Iowa State Fair that landed me a kitchen full of new appliances and a trip to the New York City Wine and Food Festival where they served up my winning dish to festival goers… hey Guy Fieri even called me ‘blondie’. I consider that a compliment! I promise to tell you more about this soon!
Back to the pancakes: *full recipe at the end of the post.
Here’s the ingredient lineup. The process is easy, combine wet ingredients. Combine dry ingredients. Incorporate dry into wet, gently. Scoop 1/4 C batter into a well buttered medium temperature skillet. Cook pancakes until golden on both sides.
And don’t forget the first step… ‘perfuming’ your sugar which I learned from my favorite baking book “Baking From My Home to Yours” by Dorie Greenspan. This makes the oils of the zest melt into the sugar, giving your pancakes even more lemon flavor.
And who eats pancakes without butter? Here’s my sweet little butter-pig. I love him.
Here’s my other butter-pig. He loves to help in the kitchen, in his pj’s.
Lemon Ricotta Pancakes
- 1/4 C sugar
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/3 C ricotta cheese
- 1 ½ C milk any kind will do
- 1 ½ tsp vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp lemon extract *optional for additional lemon taste
- 1 large egg
- 2 C cake flour
- 1 generous TBSP baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- In a large bowl rub sugar and zest of lemon between fingertips to fragrance sugar. Add zest of lemon, ricotta, milk, vanilla and egg. Whisk well. In separate mixing bowl combine flour, baking powder and salt and whisk dry ingredients to incorporate. Gently fold dry ingredients into wet ingredients until combined. Generously butter a skillet over medium-low to medium heat. Fry pancakes on one side, flipping over when the top uncooked side shows bubbles around the edges and firmness around the outsides. Serve with pats of butter and hot REAL maple syrup. Oh, and blackberries if you wish.