Here’s a fine way to indulge a bit and get some savory with your sweet. Double Bacon Caramel Sundaes are aptly named because there is a shot of bacon in the caramel and crisp bacon as a garnish. Vanilla ice cream is layered with the bacon infused caramel sauce and topped with crunchy toasted pecans and cooked smoked bacon pieces.
Let’s focus on the caramel for a sec. If you’re anything like me… cooking sauces to a temperature (like you have to for caramel apples to ensure that the caramel doesn’t just drip off, you must cook to ‘soft ball’ stage. Well this freaks most people out (not me anymore… practice and & my Thermapen got me through that issue.) I’m happy to announce, this caramel sauce doesn’t require lots of cooking, nor does it require ANY temperature testing. NONE. This caramel is very soft and will pour, even at room temperature. This attribute is a must for me. This is perfect ‘ice cream sundae bar’ caramel sauce. Caramel sauce that can be drizzled… that is what you’re getting here!
I will be heading down to Wapello, Iowa this weekend for the Louisa County Bacon Fest. The event is from 9 a.m. – 2 p.m. and I’ll be judging the Bac-ON cooking contests! I’m really looking forward to that! I’ll also be hosting a cooking demonstration and this recipe I’m showing today will be showcased! Follow Louisa County Bacon Fest on Facebook.
Don’t care for bacon desserts? (WHAT?) No problem-o. This can easily be made sans-bacon and is actually a fine “Turtle Sundae” if you add a bit of my super easy 2 Minute Hot Fudge. (To make this without bacon just swap the bacon infused cream with regular cream and omit the bacon pieces and add hot fudge. = Turtle Sundae)
Want a fresher-take? Swap the vanilla ice cream for apple slices!
Double Bacon Caramel Sundae
Makes 8 Sundaes You'll Need:
- 1/2 gallon of vanilla ice cream
- 1 recipe Bacon Infused Caramel below
- 2 cups chopped toasted pecans
- 6 slices 1/2 lb. cooked bacon, chopped
Assemble sundaes by putting 2 scoops of ice cream in a bowl, add caramel, bacon pieces and nuts. Serve immediately.
- Bacon Infused Caramel
- 1 C white granulated sugar
- 5 T salted butter
- 1 C Bacon Infused Cream *see below
- Place sugar in a large saucepan with high sides, heat burner to medium high. Watch sugars melt and gently swish mixture so no sugar burns. (This will make your caramel taste bitter). When sugar is melted and lightly amber colored stir in butter until well mixed. Reduce heat to medium or medium low (depending on how 'hot' your stovetop is). Add bacon infused cream, stand back, the mixture will boil up. Stir until well incorporated, and continue to boil for 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat. Set aside to cool. Store at room temperature for 1 day, then after that, in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- Bacon Infused Cream:
- You’ll use 2 pieces of cooked bacon per 1 cup of cream.
- Simmer fully cooked bacon pieces with heavy cream in a large saucepan for 5-10 minutes. Do not fully boil, just a slow simmer will do. Strain mixture through a fine mesh strainer. Reserve cream to use in Bacon Sweet Corn Mac ‘n Cheese (recipe coming!), Bacon Infused Caramel Sauce or make your own bacon whipped cream!