This simple combination results in bars that are loved by everyone and coveted by those who love sweet-and-salty desserts. Great recipe for beginners.
1. Instead of regular sized chocolate chips, I use mini chocolate chips. This move helps the bars to be stable and not overly-melty in the case of your picnic area being quite warm. I also like that the minis aren't overwhelmingly chocolaty.
2. Swap the salt in the recipe for French gray sea salt, and add a bit more. When swapping table salt for sea salt... up the ratio a bit. The table salt is more harsh, plus less sea salt fits in the measurement. Increase measure by 25% if using sea salt.
3. There is a touch more flour in this bar recipe than the standard recipe. I feel like the standard 'back-of-the-bag' chocolate chip cookie bar recipe is quite greasy. This eliminates that issue.
4. I sprinkle the tops of the unbaked bars with the same French gray sea salt. Need I say more? Sweet + SALTY? I'm all ears.
5. I bake these bars in a 9x13 pan, because that's what fits my LIFE, my KITCHEN and the thickness of the bars is perfect.