Roasted Tomatillo Salsa
Tomatillos make this salsa earthy and delicious! Roasting them deepens the flavor tremendously. Serve this anywhere you'd serve traditional salsa, for a different flavor!
Prep Time25 mins
Cook Time10 mins
Total Time35 mins
Servings: 2 cups
- 1 pound tomatillos husk removed, rinsed (large tomatillos cut in half)
- 1 regular jalapeno pepper stem removed, cut in half lengthwise, membrane and seeds removed
- 1 small white onion quartered (cut into similar size of tomatillos)
- 1 regular sized jalapeno pepper stem removed, split in half lengthwise, membranes and seeds removed
- 1/3 cup cilantro leaves, loosely packed *sub parsley or chives for cilantro if you like
- 2 medium cloves of garlic roughly chopped
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp salt
Preheat broiler to high, adjust oven rack to top position (about 5" from the broiler unit). Husk, rinse and chop large tomatillos, arrange them on a baking sheet.
Add onions and jalapeno pepper pieces to baking sheet. When broiler is to temp, place baking sheet under it for 4-5 minutes. Allow parts of tomatillos to blacken/brown well. Remove from oven, flip tomatillos and return baking sheet to oven for an additional 4-5 minutes. Be watchful this time, but you will certainly have blackened bits on some tomatillos, and some will just be soft.
Add cilantro (or parsley or chives) to food processor with chopped garlic. Process until fine. Add roasted tomatillos and onion plus juices from baking sheet. Add cumin. Process until combined about 10-20 pulses or 20 seconds running the machine. Season with salt to taste (likely 1/4 tsp). Pulse to combine. Serve immediately, store in refrigerator in covered container for 1 week or 10 days.