Here’s a recipe that I made up for Iowa Farmer Today when they recently visited. Jeff DeYoung is a great guy I had the pleasure of working with on the article and he took this photograph. Thanks Jeff! I love making these steak rolls, they are pretty easy, flavorful and fancy! You could make these for your Valentine… they won’t disappoint!
Flank Steak Rolls with Balsamic Glaze
Makes about 8 large rolls.
1 1/2 – 2 lb. flank steak
1 TBSP seasoned salt (Lawry’s or other)
1 /2 tsp pepper
3 TBSP Worcestershire sauce
1 TBSP olive oil
1 TBSP red wine vinegar
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 large carrot
1 bell pepper (yellow or red)
1 small zucchini
1 bunch green onions
2 stalks celery
2 cloves of garlic
3/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp dried thyme (or ½ tsp fresh thyme)
2 tsp butter
2 TBSP finely chopped shallots
1/4 C balsamic vinegar
2 TBSP brown sugar
1/4 C broth of choice (beef, chicken, vegetable)
Additional seasoned salt
-Prepare the steak. Cover steak with plastic wrap and pound it to an even ½” thickness with a meat mallet or frying pan.
– Season the steak pieces on both sides with seasoned salt and pepper. Sprinkle with Worcestershire sauce. Combine olive oil, red wine vinegar and garlic in a large zip top bag. Add steak pieces to the bag, close and place on a plate in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
– While the steak is marinating, prep filling. Very thinly slice the carrot, pepper, zucchini, green onion and celery into 4-5” matchstick sized pieces. (When preparing the zucchini, cut around and discard the center membrane with seeds.)
– Prepare the sauce by melting the butter in a small sauce pan on medium heat. Add chopped shallot and sauté for 2 minutes or until soft and translucent. Add vinegar, brown sugar and broth. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Continue simmering sauce until it reduces by half its original volume. Transfer to bowl and set aside.
-Return the saucepan, unwashed to stovetop onto medium heat. Add olive oil and crushed garlic. Sauté garlic for 1 minute. Turn heat up to high. Stir fry all vegetables but the green onions for 2 1/2 minutes. Season them with salt, pepper and thyme. Set aside to cool a bit.
-Remove steaks from marinade and gently pat excess moisture off of them.
-Take strip of steak, lay it on workspace, short side towards you. Place roughly ¼ C veggies, including green onions in the middle of the steak piece perpendicular to the long side. Roll up the beef short end to short end over the filling, securing with a toothpick. Repeat with remaining rolls. Sprinkle with additional seasoned salt on all sides.
– Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 TBSP olive oil. Swirl pan to coat. When hot, add 4 beef rolls, seam side down, not touching and pan fry for 2 minutes. Turn roll and cook on remaining 3 sides in the same manner at least 1 minute on each side, up to 2 ½ minutes for additional doneness. Remove from heat and cover with foil. Repeat with other 4 rolls adding additional oil to the pan before frying.
– When pan frying the rolls is complete, remove the toothpicks and serve with balsamic glaze spooned over the top of each roll. Serve warm.